Litigation Paralegal - Koley Jessen
Posted January 10, 2020
We are seeking a driven, hardworking, tech savvy, highly organized, Litigation Paralegal to join our litigation team.
This employee will provide high-level support to attorneys with all aspects of case management in both the state and federal courts. Case management tasks include: electronic case filing and research; discovery management including e-discovery; deposition and trial witness preparation; in-court trial management; preparation of complaints and answers and written discovery; legal research; and collections (e.g., recording judgments, executions and garnishments, searching assets) and also involves the following duties:
Learning and using litigation related software;
Client and witness meetings and communications;
Review, summarize and production of documents;
Prepares outlines, exhibit lists, and notebooks for depositions and trial;
Assists with all aspects of trial preparation and at trial.
A paralegal degree from an accredited paralegal program, paralegal certificate or Bachelor’s Degree is required. Other preferred skills include:
Ability and willingness to master various computer software programs (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Nextpoint, Trial Director, NetDocuments and other litigation support applications);
Knowledge of legal terminology, forms, documents, practices and procedures;
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Resourcefulness and ability to work independently;
Excellent organization; ability to prioritize work and handle strict deadlines and multiple tasks;
Attention to detail and ability to creatively problem solve;
Ability to confidently and effectively interact with clients, witnesses, attorneys and other employees in a team environment, maintaining confidentiality and using discretion and tact.
Our firm offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, including 401(k) with firm contribution, and the opportunity for professional development.
Koley Jessen is an energized law firm. You feel it the minute you walk in the door. We move fast and work smart. We solve client problems with agility and provide over-the-top client service. Our team-driven culture is dynamic and collaboration is extensive. At Koley Jessen, our energy powers the quality of our work and the quality of our lives. Explore the opportunities of a career at Koley Jessen and energize your future. Please apply online at www.koleyjessen.com
Litigation Paralegal / Medical Malpractice - Watson & Carroll, PC, LLO
Posted December 23, 2019
About Watson & Carroll, PC, LLO
Watson & Carroll, P.C., L.L.O., is a law firm that cares about protecting the injured and disabled in medical malpractice, worker’s compensation, personal injury, and social security cases. We strive to make medical concepts easy to understand. We measure ourselves by our core values: Care, Compassion, Collaboration, Communication, Consistency, and Authenticity.
The primary purpose is to support the medical malpractice attorneys in managing cases and ensuring timely case progression for settlement or trial. This position requires strict attention to deadlines, which may require occasional overtime. Strong organizational, time management and communication skills are critical.
• Conduct research and fact investigation related to the case.
• Prepare and file pleadings for state and federal court.
• Calendar all court deadlines using firm calendaring system.
• Prepare discovery documents, subpoenas, and other litigation support documents.
• Compile deposition outlines and notebooks; prepare written summaries of deposition testimony.
• Liaise between attorney and experts for purposes of litigation.
• Maintains regular communications with clients, other attorneys, and court staff.
• Draft correspondence to clients, attorneys, and the court.
• Attend assigned depositions, mediations, and trials.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Understand Nebraska court rules for civil procedure, discovery, and evidence.
• Experience e-filing in PACER and Nebraska Justice.
• Experience drafting pleadings, discovery documents, subpoenas, and correspondence.
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat, case management software, and computer assisted research tools.
• Proofread, revise, and edit legal documents and correspondence.
• Keyboard strokes at minimum of 50 words per minute.
• Must have valid motor vehicle operator’s license and be able to travel to court, attorney’s office, and other assigned locations.
• Ability to present information and respond to questions from attorneys, clients, staff, and the general public.
• Logical and process-oriented thinker with the ability to effectively problem solve
• Attentive to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and competing deadlines.
• Maintain confidentiality of privileged, protected, and highly sensitive information.
• Strong customer service attitude; kind, caring, and compassionate.
• Positive, collaborative attitude focused on adding value to the team and the Firm
• Professional demeanor and exemplary communications skills, oral and written
• Self-directed; anticipates what needs to be done to move projects to completion.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
• Pursues professional self-improvement by continuously learning and broadening professional and technical skills.
• Accepts direction, feedback, and constructive criticism well.
• Manages personal and professional self-care; responds appropriately to stress.
• Minimum three years of previous civil litigation paralegal experience.
• Preferred experience with personal injury or medical malpractice.
• Typical office setting; position based in Omaha, Nebraska.
• Business hours Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., occasional overtime.
• Sitting for extended periods, standing, bending, stooping, and reaching.
• Occasional lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
• Manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines.
• Range of hearing and vision sufficient to operate standard office equipment and communicate in person, by telephone, fax and email.
• Fast-paced, high stress, work environment with frequent deadlines and pressure to complete multiple, competing priorities.
• Regular attendance and punctuality required.
All interested individuals please email Angela Zimmer, Managing Attorney, email@example.com.
Tax Professional - Vandenack Weaver LLC
Posted December 4, 2019
Traditional law firms simply provide legal services. Vandenack Weaver provides expertise and holistic solutions. We are a boutique law firm that specializes in business, tax, and estate planning, and have a need for a tax and accounting para professional to handle client facing matters. If you have a tax and accounting background and are looking to find a new opportunity to apply your craft, solve complex issues, and develop your expertise, we are the firm for you.
Our desired characteristics include:
• Finding complex tax and accounting issues interesting and stimulating.
• Desire to grow and learn.
• Educational background in accounting.
• Several years of experience in tax, business, or accounting services.
• Experience in state and local tax issues, tax dispute resolution, property tax protests, payroll tax issues and other tax disputes helpful.
• Ability to understand and organize financial information.
• Ability to organize and track multiple projects and deadlines.
• Knowledge of federal estate tax and trust income tax helpful.
• Familiarity with family offices and trust administration.
• Candidate must have an absolute dedication to service to others within the firm as well as to clients.
At the heart of Vandenack Weaver is the desire to provide meaningful client service and your involvement will be instrumental. Vandenack Weaver core values include: People; Excellence; Service; Community; Innovation; Wellness; Accountability; Industry Forefront; Diversity; Integrity. The right candidate will exhibit characteristics reflective of VW core values, which allow us to provide the type of care and service to our clients that truly make an impact. VW offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that is commensurate with experience and demonstrated skill set.
Legal Assistant/Paralegal - NMPP Energy
Posted December 2, 2019
NMPP Energy, located in Lincoln, Nebraska is seeking a Legal Assistant or Paralegal to join our outstanding legal team. Use your skills, experience and talents to process incoming and outgoing contracts; enter data into a contract database and create reports; coordinate with other business areas regarding contract status, comments, and additional requests; prepare contract drafts and correspondence; perform research and draft memos; and from time to time assist our support team.
The Legal Assistant or Paralegal contributes to the mission of NMPP Energy by:
• Receiving incoming contracts, comparing incoming contracts with copy, scanning and routing contracts to appropriate parties, and emailing daily contract notifications to staff
• Creating entries in contract database, including scanning and uploading contracts; creating and distributing monthly contract reports to staff and following up on contract status
• Creating hard copy files, filing and retrieving contracts, removing terminated contracts and incorporating into electronic storage. Maintaining historical document files to track changes in form agreements and governance documents
• Preparing draft contracts for attorney review
• Drafting correspondence with members and counter-parties regarding contracts
• Processing daily tickler notifications from contract database and coordinating with staff to determine necessary actions
• Scheduling appointments with Executive Director for contract signing, draft letters, and mail executed contracts
• Performing legal research and drafting research memos
• Monitoring state and federal regulatory docket activity and summarize changes
• Scheduling meetings, drafting and editing documents, organizing and electronically filing regulatory and lobbying reports, and performing other administrative duties
Skills & Qualifications You Need
• Associates degree in business, legal studies, or related discipline and 1-3 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination. Paralegal training or legal experience a plus.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat software, and the ability to conduct internet research. Experience with Lexis or Casemaker a plus.
• Strong attention to detail
• Experience in the energy industry is not required
Applicants can apply at www.nmppenergy.org/careers